Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seafood by the Ace Hotel: John Dory Oyster Bar

I cannot tell you how much I loved this place.  Firstly, the french bistro type decor with the black window panes, bright colored bar stools and fish tanks suspended in the air were so appealing to me in this casual but trendy restaurant.  Go later then 7pm and you'll have to wait but as I stood by the bar with my friend we chatted it up with a couple guys who helped us get some drinks and soon after they got up and gave us their chairs.  Big score!  Didn't wait for more then 10 minutes.  Sat down and wanted everything on the menu.  Ordered about 6 dishes to share and wasn't disappointed with any except one being the Frika, Ramps and Mushroom salad. It was just a bit too earthy tasting for me and quite boring compared to the rest of the bright and fresh flavors found in the other plates that we ordered.

I would highly recommend this spot for a drink after work or a late lunch when it may be less crowded.

1196 Broadway
New York, NY 10001
(212) 792-9000