Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mac & Peas

LM and I escaped to the house today while the big guy was in London for biz.  The rain wouldn't let up and the traffic was awful so it took us longer then planned to drive out.  I was going to either run to the grocery store to make dinner or just go out with LM.  But neither ended up happening...
By the time we got in it was late and I was exhausted and thought I'd rummage through the pantry to see what I could come up with.
Well the best I could do was Kraft (spiral) Macaroni & Cheese.  That's right.  A classic.
I whipped up a box and steamed some peas and fed LM his dinner.  After BBB (bath, book and bedtime) it was time for me to eat...but I figured, let's play Top Chef here and step it up a notch.  So I took a slab of butter and melted it over medium high heat in a non stick skillet.  Added the cooked mac & cheese & the peas and crisped them up for a few minutes in the pan.  To make it even more exciting I added a poached egg which I've recently been working on mastering because I love them so much.  Big thanks to Smitten Kitchen for the most amazing instructions that were super easy to follow and had pictures along the way - huge bonus!
I added a few drops of hot sauce to finish the dish off and voila.  The egg was perfect and the mac & peas were an incredible compliment.
 Not to mention...my egg was perfect and oozed with yolky goodness upon breaking...