Monday, January 31, 2011

Today's Lunch: Leftover noodles turn Cacio e Pepe (Cheese & Pepper)

I have been making a lot of my Boobie's homemade chicken soup this winter.  It's been cold and there have been lots of sneezes in our path and this is the only thing that keeps my family healthy.  With the soup, I often serve thin egg noodles.  And inevitably...I always have a bowl leftover in the fridge.
After polishing off the last of this week's worth of soup, I took my leftover noodles and dropped them into a medium size bowl with 2 eggs, a splash of Mazzola heart healthy corn oil, several good twists of freshly ground black pepper and a palm full of freshly shredded parmesan cheese.  I put my good ol' non stick pan onto the stove, added a tablespoon of oil and heated on high.  I dropped the noodle mixture into the pan, flattened it out and left it there to sizzle.  When the bottom side was golden brown I used a large spatula to flip the noodle pancake.  Perfection.  A few more minutes and I was good to go.  I used a pizza knife, cut it into triangles and served along side my favorite dip.  I had just picked up a fresh container of Mango salsa which was bright and bold with flavors.  Making a beautiful combo of salty and sweet, the now Cacio e Pepe (which means cheese and pepper in Italian) noodle leftovers were a sheer delight.

Find these thin egg noodles at your local grocery store or on my favorite - Freshdirect.