Saturday, July 9, 2011

Apple Strudel with Aunt D

My Aunt D is in town and we've been cooking up a storm.  She whipped up some apple strudel one of my favorite things to have along side a hot cup of lemon tea after dinner.  It's a family recipe that my Boobie (Grandmother) made up and passed down to all of us.  It's one of the few I'll forward on from her collection because she's a bit sensitive to sharing recipes so do me a favor…keep it on the down low.

Recipe makes 2 strudels ~

Ingredients:
* 2 cups flour scant
* 2 eggs
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 2 packages vanilla sugar (don't believe you can buy this in the states…Aunt D brings me a dozen packages every time she comes to NYC)
* 1/2 cup oil
* 1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all together with hands and place on floured board.  Knead more flour into make a dough.  Divide and cut in half.  Roll out.


* palmful of breadcrumbs
* 8 apples shredded and squeeze almost all of the juice out (Aunt D likes to use Granny Smith but she says the BEST apples for strudel are spies) - each strudel requires 4 apples
* 4 packages vanilla sugar (2 per strudel)
* Strawberry jam (with seeds)
* 1/2 package chopped walnuts
* Corn oil

Schmear oil on dough and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.  Place the apples on top of the dough and sprinkle with 2 packages of vanilla sugar.  Dot with jam and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
Roll carefully and tight (the dough is very delicate) and place on an oil greased baking sheet.  
Bake at 350 for 50 minutes…and voila!
Now be careful…because it's not the prettiest looking dessert but boy is it ever addicting.  I've had to look into a strudel rehab since I've eaten almost two full strudels by myself.  That's right, I'm a piglet.  Enjoy!